Bella: Hey, sorry I'm late. Biology project.
Bella’s father: I ordered you the spinach salad. I hope that's okay.
Bella: You should order one for yourself next time. Cut back on the steak.
Bella’s father: Hey, I'm as healthy as a horse.
Cora: Say, Chief, boys want to know, did you find anything down by Queets River today?
Bella’s father: Yeah, we found a bare human footprint, but it looks like whoever that is, is headed east, so Kitsap County sheriff is gonna take over from here. Okay?
Cora: I just hope they catch him fast.
Bella’s father: Looks like your friends are flagging you. It's okay if you wanna go join them. I'm just gonna turn in early anyway.
Bella: Me, too.
Bella’s father: Bella, it's Friday night. Go out. Looks like the Newton boy's got a big smile for you.
Bella: Yeah, he's a good buddy.
Bella’s father: What about any of these other yahoos in town? Anybody interest you?
Bella: Dad, we gonna talk about boys?
Bella’s father: Yeah, I guess not. I just feel like I leave you alone too much. You should be around people.
Bella: I don't really mind being alone. I guess I'm kind of like my dad in that way.
Bella: So, how's all the baseball stuff going?
Bella’s mother: Phil's working so hard. You know, spring training. We're looking for a house to rent in case things become more permanent. You'd like Jacksonville, baby.
Bella: Yeah? I'm really liking Forks.
Bella’s mother: What?
Bella: Forks is growing on me.
Bella’s mother: Could a guy have anything to do with that?
Bella: Well, yeah.
Bella’s mother: I knew it. Tell me everything. What is he? Jock? Indie? I bet he's smart. Is he smart?
Bella: Mom, can I talk to you later?
Bella’s mother: Come on, we gotta talk boys. Are you being safe?
Bella: How did you get in here?
Edward: The window.
Bella: Do you do that a lot?
Edward: Well, just the past couple of months. I like watching you sleep. It's kind of fascinating to me. I always want to try one thing. Just stay very still. Don't move.
1. spinach: 菠菜。Bella认为父亲应该也给自己点一盘菠菜沙拉，这样对他的身体比较有好处，牛排的脂肪高，多吃对中年人的健康不利。
2. cut back on: 减少，削减，缩减。Bella让她父亲少吃点牛排。请看例子：
We shall have to cut back on our spending.（我们将不得不削减我们的经费。）
3. as healthy as a horse: 英语中常用的比喻词组，像马一样健康，也可以说as strong as a horse（像马一样强壮）。类似的和动物相关的比喻词组还有：free as a bird；gentle as a lamb；mute as a fish；stupid as a donkey；proud as a peacock等。
4. Chief: 长官。影片中是用来称呼警察，也就是Bella的父亲。Chief也可以用来称呼主任、酋长和其他首领。
5. take over: 接管。例如：The new department head took over yesterday.（新的系主任昨天接任。）
6. flag: 引起注意。影片中Bella的同学在窗外做动作，设法引起Bella的注意。此外，flag也指打旗号或用其他信号使人或车等停下或过来，例如：flag a waitress（招呼女服务员），又如：He flagged me a taxi.（他为我招来一辆出租汽车。）
7. turn in: <口>上床睡觉。看一下例子：
I usually turn in at about 11 o'clock. 我通常11点左右睡觉。
8. got a big smile for you: Bella的父亲是指他觉得Mike Newton对Bella很有意思。
9. yahoo: 乡下人。这里Bella的父亲是用调侃的语气，因为他居住的地方是个小镇。
10. grow on: 越来越被……喜爱。例如：Modern music starts to grow on people.（现代音乐已越来越被人喜欢。）在影片中Bella告诉母亲说她喜欢上了福克斯这个小镇。
11. Jock: <口>赛马的骑师。
12. Indie: （唱片、电影的）独立制片人。